We have a fantastic opportunity for a capable, well-motivated and personable graduate who is seeking a paid internship. We need you to help us update our leading skills evidence base!
This exciting role is hosted within the Skills Team at Essex County Council. The Skills Team is a great place to work, with previous Essex graduates working in our team. Come and join us!
Hours: 37 per week (4 month opportunity)
Salary: 15-16k p.a.
We are seeking a graduate with strong research skills who is able to collect, understand and present data and information in an easy to understand way. The intern will need to be very good at creating and interpreting charts, graphs and statistics and be able to draw accurate conclusions from them.
The Skills Evidence Base is required to identify the skills and employment needs and opportunities in Essex (including Southend and Thurrock). Therefore we are seeking an intern to carry out the market research required to update the 2018/19 report, utilising existing research, statistics and information.
The skills evidence base that we require updating can be found here: www.essexesb.co.uk/our-research
What will you be doing?
The content of the research is likely to include the following:
- Interpreting data collected from national skills surveys.
- Analysing local vacancy and skills data across Essex’s growth sectors.(included salaries and occupations)
- Analysing the skill levels of residence in Essex’s districts and boroughs.
- Creating a basic economic and demographic overview of Essex (i.e. earnings, GVA, employment statistics). Utilising Government data.
- Identifying local, national and global factors (i.e. Brexit, impact of Technology).
- Producing a current and future profile of every priority sector and district with the emphasis on skills, drawing on data, surveys and national sector skills information. It will include case studies and local feedback, utilising existing research such as surveys and programme outcomes.
Knowledge and experience to include:
- A track record of producing good quality, clear and professional research (including academic research)
- An understanding of the industrial sectors that exist within Essex is desirable but not essential.
- A good knowledge of Microsoft Office is essential in order to be able to carry out the task effectively.
- The ability to interpret statistics and present these in charts using software such as Excel.
- Well-developed written, verbal and presentational communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Enjoy working as a member of a team and using their own initiative
- Ability to deal confidently with a variety of people at all levels
- Able to manage own workload and meet deadlines; good organisational skills
- Able to deal with confidential information and intelligence
How to apply.
To apply for this role please send a covering letter and a copy of your CV to email@example.com.
Closing date is 31st July 2018.